Saturday, November 5, 2011

The pursuit of success......

Phew....I am just amazed at how much time has passed since my last entry. It seems sometimes, like time just fly's by without you even noticing it. As a professional dancer/teacher BUSY means good and even when I am not driving all over the surrounding states gigging my tail end off and teaching my regular classes, there is always something that needs getting done.

I wanted to share with everyone out there some advice, especially for all those ladies who want to become professional dancers and/or teachers, that I found helped me tremendously. This is not my first endeavor into the world of self employment. I am sure it will not be my last. I have worn many 'hats' in the workplaces of my life and have, I hope, grown and matured through the wearing of those 'hats'.

So here goes....

It is a wonderful thing to be self employed; you get to pick your hours, your wages, your co-workers (or lack thereof), you get to make all the rules and make all the decisions, but you MUST be the best employee anyone would ever wish for. Just because you get to pick when to work and how hard, does NOT mean you can slack off whenever you feel like it. In fact when you work for yourself, you really have to work twice as hard as someone who goes out and works a Nine to Five to collect their weekly/biweekly pay check. Because if you don't bust your butt and do everything that you possibly can to make your business the absolute best that it can possibly be....there will be no paycheck!

Yep...that is my advice, work twice as hard, push for perfection, never ever think you have done enough! You always have to be on top of your game. Make improvements even when everything its great. 

Of course, there is a whole lot more to success than just that, but your drive and determination to be successful is THE most important. Success isn't going to just come marching up and knock on your front door....you must pursue it, with all of your being and all of your energy! 

You also need to know that success doesn't happen over night...okay, so it does for some people, but not for most.....if first you don't succeed, try and try again! If what you are after is your dream, don't give up. There will be pitfalls and bumps along the way.  Most businesses take YEARS to actually turn a good profit. 

And one last cliche for the road....its not the destination that is important, it is the journey along the way. Do not, please, do not forget to ENJOY the journey!



No comments:

Post a Comment